Crescent Moon Cafe: A Quiet Afternoon in Antipolo

We couldn't tell from outside if the cafe was open. There were no other cars and the entire place was completely still. It was a Saturday afternoon but the recent surge of COVID cases in Metro Manila made this weekend quieter than most. We needed a breather in a secluded outdoor space away from the crowd. Who knew a tiny opening in narrow Sapang Buho Road, a busy urban side street in Antipolo, would lead to a spacious green oasis?


The lush greens and tall trees, and the single lane road leading into the property, all conspire to cause one to shift gears, to go slower, at a more deliberate pace. Crescent Moon is a cafe and pottery studio, and a certain kind of palpable energy permeates the space - a vibe that is both creative and patient... it's the kind of energy I seek. Continuously productive, like a potter's wheel constantly spinning - stably, evenly - without the hurry.



It's the same kind of energy that allows a gardener to care for plants, seeing and sensing where and how they will best thrive by watching them day by day. I saw a flower I couldn't name, and felt the quiet excitement of simple discovery. We walked around the garden for a bit, then the cafe staff turned on the lights and let us in. My husband and I had the whole place to ourselves and we immersed in colorful quiet as we waited patiently for our order to arrive.


I ordered the local delicacy Antipolo is known for, suman served with a slice of fresh mango on the side. I sensed that it takes the same kind of productive-patient energy to cook sticky rice in high heat with coconut milk and wrap the mixture in buli leaves. I can only imagine how much skill and stamina it takes to stir the glutinous rice to perfection. I treasured every glorious bite! My husband would often bike to Antipolo and come back bearing a gift of suman for me - a treat that makes my heart jump - not only because I love suman, but also because I know my husband sacrifices some of his streamlined cycling efficiency to accommodate my pasalubong. The treat and his gesture are both sticky sweet.



Then, there's the tableware. I didn't only savor my coffee for its taste, I also relished the cup and saucer, and little jars of sugar and milk which were all hand-made at Crescent Moon. Across the dining hall, pottery of all sorts were on display and I marveled at familiar and surprising pieces alike! There were imaginative pieces - playful, whimsical, quirky! And there were classic pieces, subtle, elegant, timeless. Crescent Moon does such a great job of getting me both excited and relaxed at the same time as I find myself quietly enjoying myself.



We concluded our afternoon coffee date feeling refreshed. We had a brief respite from the cares of the pandemic and the demands of work. We had a very quiet afternoon at Crescent Moon Cafe and it gave us the breather we needed. As we exited the premises, we passed through the single-lane road flanked by shrubs and trees. When we reached the busy street, we felt like we had just emerged from a secret garden.



Date of visit: 9 January 2022
Crescent Moon Cafe
Sapang Buho Road, Antipolo



Related posts:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apartment 1B Laiya: Beachfront gourmet dining in Batangas

Karada: Japanese Body Therapy in Burgos Circle, Taguig

Sta. Elena Fun Farm: A Birthday Party Outdoors in Cabuyao, Laguna