Zoocobia: Fun Rides and Animal Feeding in Pampanga

 

We were checked it at Marriott Hotel in Clark and I asked my kids if they wanted to stay in the hotel (where they can enjoy the amenities and free wifi) or if they wanted to go to Zoocobia. Of course I hoped for some outdoor fun with the kids, but you never know these days - my older kids have complained about reduced wifi time a lot.  Any place without a good connection is a source of pouty faces. But Zoocobia was fun enough to make them forget their gadgets, at least even for a little bit.




The Zooc ride was definitely a crowd-pleaser.  Adults and kids alike got to enjoy the gravity-fuelled luge ride.  We had to climb a hill to get to the loading area where the attendant gave us a briefing (and took these pics!). Spacious enough for an adult and a child, the gravity car allowed me to take Lauan with me (he was not happy about that! He wanted to drive the car on his own but young kids are not allowed to ride without adult supervision).  My older kids though, loved the ride so much they ran up the hill for another run (I was so happy I got them to do some exercise! Seeing them running uphill impressed me, to be honest - I was short of breath from my slow climb).  The track is 400 meters long and has three hairpin turns that brought out a few screams from me. There were attendants to assist at every turn, for some coaching, and coaxing.  My son Guijo sang "Giorno's theme" from his fave anime while charging downhill and this gave him such a thrill! He provided us with a "soundtrack" as we sped down the race track. He's such a fun kid.





The other ride the kids loved was the Zing - a combination of a swing and a zip line.  Riders climb up a platform where they get strapped to a swing.  Then off they go.  I love how both the Zooc and Zing rides are fuelled by gravity.  I was scared for Lauan, which was weird because I've seen Narra and Guijo take similar rides at younger ages (they did thing like Bungee-trampoline rides, zip lines, etc.) - I guess my fear for Lauan came from his being a quarantine kid. He's spent so much time indoors in the last two years that I fear his playground skills are underdeveloped. I worried that he'd lean back while seated on the swing! But he did ok, and he enjoyed the ride so much he wanted to do it twice so he can have a turn with his big sister and big brother.


 


There were also animal rides - a horse or camel ride - and then some animal feeding.  My kids got a chance to feed an ostrich, bear cat, monkey, a camel, and farm animals like a cow, horse, and goat, and they got to look at ducks, chicks, and bunnies.  I liked how the local attendants were stationed everywhere. For me, it was good to see that Zoocobia hired some Aeta employees who showed/explained to us what to do. I liked how they turned as away for certain things - for instance, they'd say "this animal is full, you can feed another one" or "this one is resting" so we shouldn't disturb it. I think it's important for kids to know that they must respect and not harass animals.  

We enjoyed the rides and animal feeding at Zoocobia. I liked how the place is small and simple, so kids (and adults) don't get overwhelmed and they can focus on enjoying the few attractions to the fullest.   It's modest not just in size but also in execution - which is a good thing - the minimal structures means one gets to enjoy the outdoors and be in nature.  Driving to Zoocobia from Clark was quite enjoyable because it involved a very scenic section - the crossing of the Sacobia river bridge, which offered a dramatic view - a long bridge heading straight to a lush forest, with a sweeping panorama of mountains to the left, and a wide dry river bed on either side, and a lot of blue skies above. I was driving so I was unable to take a photo of that glorious approach, but even for that moment alone, the side-trip to Zoocobia was already worth it for me. That my kids enjoyed the visit is just the cherry on top.




Date of visit: 13 February, 2020
Zoocobia Fun Zoo
Mabalacat, Pampanga

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apartment 1B Laiya: Beachfront gourmet dining in Batangas

Karada: Japanese Body Therapy in Burgos Circle, Taguig

Sta. Elena Fun Farm: A Birthday Party Outdoors in Cabuyao, Laguna