Shaka Cafe: A Health-Conscious Saturday in Burgos Circle

My sister invited me for some self-care on Saturday afternoon. The agenda was simple: go to Burgos Circle to eat at a vegetarian restaurant, and walk to Karada nearby for a Japanese-style massage. It sounded like a really good plan. My sister first encountered Shaka Cafe in Siargao and she was delighted to find out there's a branch in Taguig.  I told my sister I wanted us to do something we can enjoy only when it's just the two of us - without or parents, or my husband and kids. Oohing and aahing at plant-based fare is that sort of thing. And Shaka Cafe did not disappoint.



We ordered a wrap (and cut it in half), and we ordered the tacos as well, and had one each of the pair that makes up a serving. There were so many things to love about what we ate. The portions were just right, hefty and filling - we were full and satisfied by the time we polished off our plates, but we also felt like we had a light meal so we didn't feel stuffed or sluggish.  The taste and play of textures was equally satisfying - the quinoa, lettuce, tomatoes, plant-based falafel and pita with a flavorful sauce; and the crunchy taco shell filled with juicy mix of veggies punctuated by the taste of cilantro!  




We also ordered joyful, colorful smoothies - my sister had the "forest" version, with green goodies like kale, spinach, moringa and aloe. While I had the berry and mango, because I wanted something pink and yellow while getting my vitamin boost.  Those smoothies were a feast for the eyes and the taste buds, we felt like we truly went to an island destination. They were so much fun to consume. They added to the beach vibe that Shaka managed to pull off.  When we went there, the resto was busy. The dining area upstairs was packed, and all the outdoor seats facing Burgos Circle were taken. My sister and I had no choice but to take the available table between the bar, kitchen, and stairs. From were we sat, we could see the drinks being prepared, and all the food being dispatched from the kitchen.  Seeing the items on the menu being paraded in front of us made us want to come back again, to try other food and beverage creations. 




The people that ate at Shaka made us think of travel! Next to us, in front of us, and outside at the front, we were surrounded by foreigners. We heard snippets of conversation as the bar staff asked the usual friendly conversation starters "where are you from?" all the way to "have you been to Siargao?" ... We were sad to hear that the Shaka branch in Siargao is still closed and electricity still hasn't returned in some parts due to the devastation from typhoon Odette.  That's really sad.  I'll keep Siargao on my wish list of places to go to for a family vacation. I hope we get to go there sooner rather than later. But for now, I am grateful even to just experience one of Siargao's favorite food establishments. Sustainably sourced, deliciously prepared, and gorgeously presented - Shaka Cafe's food makes going plant-based oh so attractive! It's a new favorite and I can't wait to go back for more.



Date of visit: 12, March 2022

Shaka Cafe at Burgos Circle, Forbestown, Taguig

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shaka.cafes/ 

Related post: Karada: Japanese Body Therapy in Burgos Circle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apartment 1B Laiya: Beachfront gourmet dining in Batangas

Karada: Japanese Body Therapy in Burgos Circle, Taguig

Sta. Elena Fun Farm: A Birthday Party Outdoors in Cabuyao, Laguna