Sip and Gogh: Painting with my Daughter

Sip and Gogh came to mind when I was desperate for something to do with my daughter Narra - an activity that would allow us to just be together - to talk if we wanted - or to stay quiet without things being awkward. With all the stresses of looming deadlines hanging over our heads, I invited my daughter to just forget about all pending work and spend 3 hours with me, to do some painting.  We've never been to any sort of painting place, so it's a little afternoon adventure for us both.

"Have you tried painting before?" the attendant asked me.  I remember taking art classes as a kid, but we only did kiddie watercolor on paper, never acrylic paint on canvas! It's always good to try something new.




I had a destination in mind for whatever output I'd produce - I plan to hang it in my office! Ever since the imposition of the community quarantine 2 years ago  I have been working from home. I've missed my room at the department oh so much! But after a week, I'm scheduled to start working onsite again!  I wanted to mark the return to campus with something to symbolize the last 2 years. I had a spot on my wall for my kids' school art projects, I figured my own painting would blend right in with theirs! 


 


I browsed through the available selection of paintings for something to copy. And I picked an image of a lily pond not only because it seemed to be a very beginner friendly image, but also because I like the idea of how lilies can bloom even in muddy waters. This is how I want to think of my life during the pandemic. I became a department chair as everything shifted online - it felt like pretty much like having a blank canvas! We had to transfer everything we did face-to-face and capture it as best as we can online - and that's also how it felt to paint from a template for the first time. I tried to recreate things, part by part, hoping for a semblance to the original, but also with full acceptance that it won't and can't look the same.  




And off I went, starting with the background, then ripples in the water, then leaves, then finally the flowers.  Being active is relaxing for me - and painting is very active - every second somethings's happening: too much paint, too dark, too light, too watery - and always, there's a reaction: blot, mix more green-blue-yellow-white, use bigger brush, smaller brush, use heavier touch, or lighter touch. I was lost in the exercise, happily making all sorts of mistakes and fixing them (or not).  It felt like dancing with no one watching.  

I soon forgot that I picked this activity because of my daughter. She is artistically inclined and I thought she'd enjoy it. I was not artistically inclined, and yet I enjoyed it too (or maybe I even enjoyed it more).  "Aren't you getting wine?" my daughter reminded me. I forgot the "Sip" part because I just went straight to the "Gogh" part.  I was grateful for her reminder because the wine was good, and sipping it added spirit to the exercise.  





My daughter didn't enjoy the experience as much as I did! She prefers artistic freedom and would rather not follow a template. We went to National Bookstore next door and she bought some art supplies so she can make what she wants (so the afternoon is still a win for the arts!) As for the painting she made, she gave it to her brother Guijo as a present. He loved it and immediately hung it up in the bedroom he shares with his little brother. It's now the first thing one sees upon opening their bedroom door.  Maybe I'll take him to Sip and Gogh one of these days, when he's the one who needs a break.  




Date of visit: 19 February 2022
Sip and Gogh, Eastwood
Ground Floor, Le Grand 3, E-Commerce Road

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apartment 1B Laiya: Beachfront gourmet dining in Batangas

Karada: Japanese Body Therapy in Burgos Circle, Taguig

Sta. Elena Fun Farm: A Birthday Party Outdoors in Cabuyao, Laguna